My Samsung galaxy express is a piece of ****

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
My Samsung galaxy express is a piece of ****

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:07 pm

First off, I don't do contract plans.

How you sumbitches pay car payments for you phones is beyond me. I'm a prepaid man all the way.

Had Verizon in WV. Cell service is pretty shoddy up there because of the terrain but I made do with couple of Motorola's in the last few years.

First was a moto E. Best phone I ever had. Easy to use, features were simple.

Upgraded to the moto G. Not quite as good, but still a decent phone.

My big gripe with Verizon was the simple fact that they're a bunch of vampires. So when I came south, I set up the wife and I with a pair of GoPhones.

The coverage is fine, and the rates are fine, but this phone is a real piece of ****. Pre loaded with a bunch of garbage that kills the internal storage, and the SD port is worthless. Tried to transfer pics to the card and it deleted them all.

Screen is too sensitive and the autocorrect on the keyboard is an ***hole. I have to delete the entire word to correct a typo or it duplicates the word on top of the half word I'm trying to correct.

**** this phone. Can I Just plug the SIM card into any unlocked Android I can get?
Mountaineer Buc

Re: My Samsung galaxy express is a piece of ****

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Every single app crashes with this thing. I have 6.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 pm

It's a $50 phone, not sure what you can expect. As for the sim, it can be switched, but there are restrictions. If it's a GoPhone, then it's using AT&T networks, and GSM. You could switch it to another unlocked phone(assuming the GoPhone doesn't hide the sim) but only if it's GSM enabled. It won't really work that well on CDMA devices(Verizon and Sprint)...it'll work but your access to 3/4G probably won't. Also depends on what type of SIM card it is(Standard, Micro, Nano)
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Nano wrote:It's a $50 phone, not sure what you can expect. As for the sim, it can be switched, but there are restrictions. If it's a GoPhone, then it's using AT&T networks, and GSM. You could switch it to another unlocked phone(assuming the GoPhone doesn't hide the sim) but only if it's GSM enabled. It won't really work that well on CDMA devices(Verizon and Sprint)...it'll work but your access to 3/4G probably won't. Also depends on what type of SIM card it is(Standard, Micro, Nano)

This entire paragraph means nothing to me.

EDIT: I don't mean to be rude but you're throwing alphabet soup at me.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 am

If it says ATT unlocked, it'll work. If it says Verizon unlocked, it won't. Figure out what size your sim is, then a phone with that slot.
Nano

Postby terrytate » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:38 am

If you are going to go that cheap on the phone, you might as well get one of the new Nokia 3310's. You still won't be able to run those apps but you will have a phone with a 1 month battery life.
terrytate

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am

Nano wrote:If it says ATT unlocked, it'll work. If it says Verizon unlocked, it won't. Figure out what size your sim is, then a phone with that slot.

Amen. That's what I needed to know.

If the phone isn't branded with a carrier it wont work though, right?

terrytate wrote:If you are going to go that cheap on the phone, you might as well get one of the new Nokia 3310's. You still won't be able to run those apps but you will have a phone with a 1 month battery life.

that's a negatory on the Nokia. But seriously, who drops $800 on a cell phone?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 am

That honestly depends on the manufacturer/developers. My Nexus 5X is unbranded, but has the tech to appear on both GSM(ATT)/CDMA(Verizon) networks. Google's newest gen(Pixel) is GSM only.
Nano

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:45 am

idk that this reply will help a ton but I'm on some type of family plan with my parents on Verizon where we have unlimited call/text and share 8 GB of data. When I got my Galaxy S6, I had to pay like $150 and then they tack on $20 to the bill every month, bringing my portion to $40 a month.
Deuce

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:50 am

Are you open to paying for the $800 phone in no interest installments?
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:02 am

Yeah, these guys love to finance the phones but I simply cannot fathom spending much more than $100.

Call me a cheapskate, I like my beer money.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:43 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Nano wrote:If it says ATT unlocked, it'll work. If it says Verizon unlocked, it won't. Figure out what size your sim is, then a phone with that slot.

Amen. That's what I needed to know.

terrytate wrote:If you are going to go that cheap on the phone, you might as well get one of the new Nokia 3310's. You still won't be able to run those apps but you will have a phone with a 1 month battery life.

I do. First of all, it's not a cell phone. It's a computer with cell phone capabilities. If you don't want a handheld computer, fine. Just go back to a flip phone and be done with it.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:47 am

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Amen. That's what I needed to know.

I do. First of all, it's not a cell phone. It's a computer with cell phone capabilities. If you don't want a handheld computer, fine. Just go back to a flip phone and be done with it.

I HAVE a handheld computer with a phone on it. I want a BETTER handheld computer with a phone on it.

I'm just not forking over a mortgage payment to get one....nor am I getting a mortgage to get one.

how is it that nobody has made an Obamaphone joke yet?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I do. First of all, it's not a cell phone. It's a computer with cell phone capabilities. If you don't want a handheld computer, fine. Just go back to a flip phone and be done with it.

I HAVE a handheld computer with a phone on it. I want a BETTER handheld computer with a phone on it.

I'm just not forking over a mortgage payment to get one....nor am I getting a mortgage to get one.

Just like laptops and desktops, you get what you pay for. Go cheap, get crap. It's your choice.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Nano » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I do. First of all, it's not a cell phone. It's a computer with cell phone capabilities. If you don't want a handheld computer, fine. Just go back to a flip phone and be done with it.

My mom had a safelink phone. Useless little thing but probably durable enough to survive the nuclear holocaust.

As for buying an 800$ phone, I know people that do it(every year in fact), but personally I wouldn't. I just can't see spending $750 on something like the IPhone 7 when you could get an IPhone 6 for 330$. Or dropping 1K on the rumored IPhone X...ever lol
Nano

Postby deltbucs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm

When I upgraded with Verizon 6 months or so, I wasn't under contract so I was able to buy a good phone at a discounted rate and sign up for 2 years. Paid $300 (I think retail was $700-800) for a galaxy S7 edge when I signed up for a 2 year contract. Oh...and got a free 32" Samsung smart TV because I bought it at Best Buy and they had a promo going on. They often do when you buy Samsung phones there.
deltbucs

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Deuce wrote:idk that this reply will help a ton but I'm on some type of family plan with my parents on Verizon where we have unlimited call/text and share 8 GB of data. When I got my Galaxy S6, I had to pay like $150 and then they tack on $20 to the bill every month, bringing my portion to $40 a month.

My brother and I just did ... we joined with my parents to all get on one plan. The four of us together all have saved huge. I send my parents a check every fourth month for the bill.
Zarniwoop

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:48 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Nano wrote:It's a $50 phone, not sure what you can expect. As for the sim, it can be switched, but there are restrictions. If it's a GoPhone, then it's using AT&T networks, and GSM. You could switch it to another unlocked phone(assuming the GoPhone doesn't hide the sim) but only if it's GSM enabled. It won't really work that well on CDMA devices(Verizon and Sprint)...it'll work but your access to 3/4G probably won't. Also depends on what type of SIM card it is(Standard, Micro, Nano)

This entire paragraph means nothing to me.

EDIT: I don't mean to be rude but you're throwing alphabet soup at me.

I'm thinking Nano saw how you breathed new life into mdb's Spreadsheets thread and figured you'd know exactly what he was talking about. It's all Greek to me but I thought you would be able to read it just fine.
Brazen331

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:09 am

Had to google what a Samsung express was.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:11 am

DreadNaught wrote:Had to google what a Samsung express was.
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:20 am

Most of the prepaids are obscure, and most of them suck.

Also, looks like the Galaxy Express 3 uses a Nano sim. Smallest of 3 means you'll need a sim adapter to fit it in a bigger slot.
Nano

Postby Buc2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:15 pm

There's no such thing as an unlocked carrier phone. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint. Doesn't matter. You can buy an unlocked phone that will work with AT&T, true. It will likely cost more than a carrier phone though.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/unlocked-ph ... -3373.html
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Nano » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Carriers will unlock their phones though. Usually you need to have enough reason, and if you're still under contract,they probably won't. Hell, Verizon no longer actually locks their phones anymore(at least their LTE phones).
Nano

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Submit an unlock request online and AT&T will unlock it for you. Easy as pie.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:42 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Submit and unlock request online and AT&T will unlock it for you. Easy as pie.

Prime, I want to ditch this phone for a better one.

The question nobody can seem to answer is whether or not I can just stick the SIM card into any unlocked Android I can get.

Someone did mention this thing having an odd sized SIM card though.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Submit and unlock request online and AT&T will unlock it for you. Easy as pie.

The question nobody can seem to answer is whether or not I can just stick the SIM card into any unlocked Android I can get.

My post was to whoever wondered how hard it was to get phones unlocked.

As to your question yes you can. If you need a nano or micro sim just get it from your wireless provider. It usually costs $25 or so.
PrimeMinister

Postby A Man's Part » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

You don't need to worry about that. Buy the phone you want and ATT should sell you a properly sized sim for like 15$.

The problem that you will run into is that you don't want to pay for what your phone is worth, so you'd probably just buy another cheap phone that barely works. That's the real problem that you are going to run into. I'd check the facebook marketplace, craigslist, or whatever second-hand way of purchasing is available in your area and try to get a used flagship phone that is a few years old. You might be able to get one of those in the 150-200 dollar range.
A Man's Part

Return to The Nerdery